Ref: SGT007ASHP: Religious Worker – Saiva Kurukkal/Hindu Priest
(General Assistant and Funeral Services)
Full-time, Fixed Term Contract (2 years)
Shree Ghanapathy Temple, SW19 8PU, UK.
Opening/Posted Date: 16 Nov 2020
Closing Date: 20 Dec 2020
The Shree Ghanapathy Temple is a leading Hindu faith organisation based in South West London, UK. The temple, dedicated to Lord Ghanapathy, was the first fully consecrated south Indian Hindu temple in Europe. We have an outstanding reputation with our peers and other faith bodies throughout the UK. We are well known for our focus on religious worship, commitment to multi-faith activities, religious education and service to the wider community within the UK. Our temple is visited by over 3000 students every year as part of their religious education studies. We are a prominent Hindu faith organisation in London. Our main worship facilities are of outstanding architectural merit, having been refurbished in a mixed contemporary/traditional style in 2015. For more information about our organisation see other parts of this website.
Given the current Covid19 situation we have an urgent need to employ a full-time Saiva Kurukkal (Religious Worker in a non-pastoral & non-preaching role) to support our existing team of senior priests and the management committee. Saiva Kurukkals are ordained Hindu Priests (of a Brahmin lineage) that undertake specific duties in support of the senior priests (Ministers of Religion) and the religious activities related to our method/form of worship.
The successful individual will have in-depth knowledge and expertise of Hindu religious ceremonies, Mandapalli (preparation of sacred food), experience at and be qualified to conduct traditional Saiva Hindu funerals/last rites ceremonies. They will have a well-established background and proven experience in undertaking the duties listed below.
- The ability to conduct traditional Hindu Saivite funerals/ last rites ceremonies is essential for this role
- Setup Abishekham, Homum and Pooja / preparation for daily and special ceremonies
- Alangaram and decoration to all Deities
- Madapalli work (preparation of sacred food)
- Assist Temple Priests with religious ceremonies, festivals and daily activities
- Garland making.
- Other associated duties as directed.
- Ordained/conferred to Kurukkkalship (Vedaagamas)
- Must be able to perform last rites and Hindu Saivite funerals (essential)
- Know and ability to recite/chant vedic mantra’s and Slokas
- 3+ years’ experience working at a Saiva Hindu Temple
- Must have strong communication skills and be able to converse in both English and Tamil
This vacancy is exempt from the: Sex Discrimination Act 1975, (SDA) Section 7(II)(e); the Race Relations Act (RRA) and Equality Act 2010 due to genuine religious requirements. As a condition of your employment you will be required to reside within the vicinity of the temple premises (in accommodation provided by us).
- Discounted/free food
- Accommodation provided
- £16,000.00 per annum
- Priest, Non-Pastoral: 2 years (Required)
- Certificate of Higher Education (Preferred)
- Conferred to Kurukkkalship (Vedaagamas)
- Fluent Tamil (required), fluency in English is required (to a recognised standard), other languages desirable.
Please contact: email@example.com to apply (including your CV and other relevant information) or for further information before the application closing date of the 20 Dec 2020